- Limited edition violin, number 6/10.
- Supplied with certificate of authenticity.
- Built for the 300th anniversary of the legendary Kiesewetter violin, built by Stradivari.
- Includes luthier set up, fitted with Larsen Virtuoso strings.
This incredible violin pays homage to the 1723 Kiesewetter violin, constructed by Stradivari. Numbered 6/10, this particular model has outstanding flaming in the wood, both on the top, back and the ribs.
Hand built by a master craftsman, this unique violin sounds just as good as it looks and comes with a certificate of authenticity and accompanying identifying photographs.
Supplied as a violin only, however an accompanying case and bow can be recommended if desired.
This model benefits from a gold level setup which consists of Larsen Virtuoso strings, which are professionally fitted and measured in line with the bridge, to provide a soft feel for the performer, while complimenting the strong tonal personality of the violin and drawing out the full potential of the instrument. The bridge height has been adjusted for optimum string action and the sound post has been recalibrated to get the very best tone possible from this excellent instrument.
“Kiesewetter” Stradivari 1723-2023
The “Kiesewetter” is both one of the best known and most often heard violins ever crafted. A beautiful example of the great master’s work yet one that has occasionally had moments of excitement in its life. Made exactly 300 years ago in Antonio Stradivari’s workshop in the Piazza San Domenico, Cremona. The violin is celebrating its tercentenary this year.
Made in 1723, one of the very first owners of this great masterpiece was the celebrated German violinist Christoph Goffried Kiesewetter (1777-1827) after whom the instrument is named. Interestingly, Hill’s of London listed this violin as dating from 1731, but later expertise narrowed it down to 1723, principally because of its distinctive maple which is common in several Stradivari violins around 1722-23.
From Kiesewetter the violin passed to Sir Francis Goldschmidt and the onto his daughter. In 1890 Charles Fletcher bought the violin and it was sold soon after to the collector Henry O Havemayer. From then on the violin has remained in the United States.
In 1953, the famous violin house of Rembert Wurlitzer (New York) sold the violin to the amateur Dr Jerome Gross of Cleveland. Howard Gottlieb bought the violin in 1972 and finally in 1986 the violin was acquired by is current owner Clement Arrison, described as “an industrialist and patron of the arts”.
Over the years, Mr Arrison and his wife Karen, in association with the Stradivari Society ® of Chicago, have loaned the violin to a number of famous musicians, starting with a young Russian called Maxim Vengerov, then Philip Quint and more recently Grammy Award winning violinist Augustin Hadelich. It was whilst in Quint’s care, the violin had a narrow escape having been lost in a NYC taxicab, but was thankfully recovered
within a couple of days!
As part of the tercentenary celebrations The Sound Post Ltd, has commissioned the well-known violin maker Xue Ping Hu, of Beijing, to make a Single Limited Edition of ten replica copies.