A perennial favorite among discerning pianists, the Yamaha U1 offers outstanding musical performance, setting the standards by which many other upright pianos are measured. Silent functionality has been added to this U1. This is an TA2-type type Silent piano featuring a CFX sound source.
Realistic tonal color for faithful reproduction
- CFX Binaural Sampling
- For the first time ever the Silent Piano offers sound sampled from the Yamaha CFX full concert grand piano, supporting the beauty of its clear, vivid tones with the power of this renowned instrument.
- Yamaha first model with binaural sampling system, enabling reproduction of natural and three-dimensional sound.
- [ Binaural sampling system ]recording system in which microphones are installed in the ears of a dummy (see diagram) so that the sound can be reproduced the way it is heard by the player.
- When playing in "Silent" mode, the player feels as though the CFX sounds are coming directly from the piano.
Newly developed TransAcoustic™ technology transmits digital sound directly to the piano soundboard, thus making the piano itself behave as a speaker. On a TransAcoustic™ piano, the sound that you hear is resonating directly from the soundboard. The tone generator sends an optimized audio signal to transducers that are connected by a coil to the soundboard. This sets the coils in motion, causing the soundboard to vibrate and generate sonic vibrations that travel through bridges attached to the soundboard, and are ultimately transmitted to the strings, making them resonate with sound.
- Maximum simultaneous polyphony of 256 notes
- Large capacity (256MB) of wave memory
- Four types of piano effects for reproducing sounds that are characteristic of acoustic performance
- String resonance: Reproduces the expressive tonal colors that are created as strings hit by hammers resonate with other strings.
- Key-off sampling: Reproduces the subtle changes of sound that occur when the damper touches the strings.
- Sustain sampling: Records the rich sounds that are generated as the player depresses a pedal during performance.
- Damper resonance: Reproduces the deep and expansive resonance that is generated when the player depresses a pedal. Subtle changes in nuance that occur during the performance can be reproduced faithfully.
- 19 tonal colors
- Two recording systems (Built-in recorder and USB audio recorder)
- The performance can be recorded in two different ways. It can be recorded either directly to the built-in recorder of a piano, or to a USB audio recorder, in which case the data stored in USB flash memory in WAV format can be played on a PC as well.
- Using a built-in recorder is more convenient if the players wish to listen to the recorded piece right away. It allows them to listen to the entire performance of a music piece or to go back and listen to a particular section of the piece.
- Since performances are saved in WAV format with a USB audio recorder, they can be recorded onto CDs or played on portable music players.
- User-friendly control panel
- Open structured headphones that can produce clear, high-quality sound
- The headphones that come exclusively with TA2 ype pianos are designed in a way that minimizes the strain on users after long hours of playing.
- This newly employed headphones contribute to the improvement of sound quality as well as to the reduction of fatigue during performance.
- Equipped with AUX and MIDI terminals
- AUX and MIDI terminals allow the sound to be output to a variety of external devices (e.g. stereo components, IC recorders, speakers with built-in amplifiers, stereo systems).
- Connecting TA2 type pianos to external devices such as sound source modules and music players (CD players etc.) via AUX IN terminals allows players to listen to the sound from these external devices on the headphones while they play the piano.
- Connecting MIDI devices such as synthesizers to TA2 type pianos via MIDI OUTPUT terminals allows players to transmit performance information to external devices for playback.
- Connecting music sequencers to TA2 type pianos via MIDI IN terminals allows the players to receive and play back the performance information provided by the sequencers using the sound source of TA2 type pianos.
- Width 153 cm (60 1/4")
- Height 121 cm (47 3/4")
- Depth 62 cm (24 1/2")
- Weight 242 kg (534 lb)
- Keyboard Key Surfaces - White : Acrylic resin, Key Surfaces - Black : Phenolic resin
- Hammer Type U Series Special
- Pedal Type Damper/Muffler/Soft
- Caster Type : Double Caster
- Lid/Failboard : Yes
- Soft-Close Failboard : Yes
- Key Sensors - Non-contact continuous detection optical sensor
- Damper Pedal - Continuous detection sensor
- Soft/Shift Pedal - On/Off detection sensor
- Mechanism - Hammer shank stopper operated by centre pedal
- Piano sound - Yamaha CFX Bösendorfer Imperial
- Binaural Sampling - Yes (CFX Grand Voice only)
- VRM - Yes
- Key-off Samples - Yes
- Smooth Release - Yes
- Polyphony (max.) 256
- Preset - Number of Voices - 20
- Voice for Song Playback : 480 XG Voices + 12 Drum/SFX Kits
- Reverb - Yes
- Brilliance - Yes
- Stereophonic Optimizer - Yes (Piano Voices other than CFX Grand)
- Number of Preset Songs - 20 Voice Demo Songs, 50 Classics
- Recording - Number of songs - 10
- Data Capacity - Approx. 550 KB/Song
- Playback - SMF (Format 0, Format 1)
- Recording - SMF (Format 0)
- Recording Time (max.) : 80 Minutes/Song
- Playback : WAV (44.1 kHz, 16 bit, stereo)
- Recording : WAV (44.1 kHz, 16 bit stereo)
- Metronome : Yes
- Tempo Range : 5 - 500
- Transpose : - 12 - 0 - +12
- Tuning : 414.8 - 440.0 - 466.8 Hz (approx. 0.2 Hz increments)
- Bluetooth : Yes (Audio) (May not have this functionality depending on the country in which you purchased the product)
Storage and Connectivity
- Internal Memory : approx. 1.3 MB
- External Drives : USB flash Drive
- DC IN : 16 V
- Headphones : Stereo mini jack (x2)
- MIDI : IN/OUT
- AUX IN : Stereo mini jack
- AUX OUT: [L/L+R][R] (Standard phone jack)
- USB TO DEVICE : Yes
- USB TO HOST : Yes
- Power Consumption : 40 W
- Auto Power Off : Yes
- Headphone hanger
- Attachment screws for headphone hanger
- "50 Classical Music Masterpieces" music book
- Owner's Manual
Separately Sold Accessories
- USB wireless LAN adaptor (UD - WL01)
- Wireless MIDI adaptor (UD - BT01/MD-BT01)